YASB – Yet Another Symfony Blog

February 19, 2008

Tuesday weirdness: a Symfony on Symbian phones

Filed under: Exotic, General, PHP — Krof Drakula @ 6:59 pm

A while back, I’ve stumbled upon an interesting, yet exotic, project – PAMP. It promises to bring the full Apache/MySQL/PHP stack to the Symbian phone. So, on a whim, I decided to try it out.

After following the installation instructions (installing on a Nokia N95 with the installation for memory cards) and starting up the PAMP stack, I’ve connected to the home LAN network and navigated my computer’s browser to the phone’s LAN IP. Lo and behold – the almighty “It works!” sign showed up. Even phpinfo() says it’s got most of the bundled extensions enabled (including GD2 and mbstring!).

So, on another whim, I decided to stress test the bugger and see if it runs Symfony. To spare you the excitement – it doesn’t run. Copying the files via USB messes up the file casing, so I had to re-copy the whole shebang using the phone’s sync software (which I’m still doing).

One thing to add though – while copying, I’ve noticed some files will not copy and I’m guessing the culprit is the lenght of the absolute path and name of the file. The first one in question is located inside $sf_data_dir/sfPropelCrud/ somewhere (the damn thing won’t show me which), there are probably more (I’m still copying files by hand). While I’m not using the generator in the test application, it seems there will have to be some workaround to get it working on a this phone (but the question really is – is Symfony really meant to run on phones?).

More to follow.

Edit:

It seems that using the phone software’s bundled File Manager solves the file casing issue. I still haven’t managed to copy all the files, but those that can’t be copied I’m sure won’t get used anyways (some generator skeletons and such).

Edit nr.2:

Well, all things said and done, it seems PHP segfaults before symfony has even a chance of running anything, but no way of seeing what error is produced, exactly. I haven’t been able to find any Apache logs written anywhere. And no, no Symfony logs to speak of as of now (it segfaults before that point). It could be something to do with UTF-8 encoding – I’ve tried opening a file on the phone with the default file manager and all the YAML files were messed up. I’m not even sure which encoding the phone is using. It’d be a shame if it was limited to ISO-8859-2 or such.

Powered by WordPress